Recently, a client shared with me something that was happening with one of her valued team members that just seemed so unfair and my client was at a loss as to how she could help.
Her employee had recently lost her mother to a heart attack, after three weeks on life-support and she was commuting interstate to visit her. The family had to make the heart wrenching decision to turn off life-support. Then, within a few weeks, her sister was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer and to top it off she was in a custody dispute with her ex-husband! Her stress levels were off the scale. Let’s face it just one of these experiences is tough enough to deal with – let alone three!
During all of this, admirably she was trying to hold down a job and manage her young family. You can’t even imagine the levels of stress she was experiencing at this time. My client wanted to know how she could help. Obviously, she was not a trained counsellor – nor should she ever attempt this role – but just being listened to helps.
Did you know that?
- One in five Australians will experience mental illness during their life
- One in three first marriages and one in two second marriages will end in divorce
- 74% of employees reported being stressed at work
- 35% of Australians reported moderate to severe levels of stress
Why should this matter to you?
Today, someone in your team may well be experiencing one of these challenges and the result might be:
- An impact on morale or engagement (the measure of discretionary effort)
- Performance and productivity levels will drop
- Higher levels of absenteeism or ‘sickies’
- Increased instances of resignation – due to personal issues
- Increased risk of a workplace stress claim which will impact your premiums
- Fellow employees might have increased stress levels, trying to assist the impacted employee
- You struggle with your legal obligation to ‘provide a safe place of work’
- You don’t stand out as an ‘employer of choice’
How we can help?
Many business owners would benefit from an Employee Assistance Program. We have partnered with Access EAP to provide a premium service to our clients for a very cost effective price.
What are the benefits to you?
- A reduction in absenteeism and resignations
- A stronger Employee Value Proposition (why should someone work for you)
- Reduced risk of a stress claim
- A lift in well being in the workplace
- An increase in tenure (length of service)
- Increased engagement levels
- You don’t have to play the counselling role when you don’t have the skills
- Your team will know that you ‘really do care’
How do you make your workplace a healthier place? We can help with setting you up with an Employee Assistance Program, so you can help your employees through ‘life’s little bumps in the road!’